测试视野 testing vision
Home > 学习@培华 Learning @ Pei Hwa > English
Every pupil a competent, confident & empathetic communicator with discernment in thought & creativity & clarity in expression
Our School-based Programmes:
The reading programmes aim to nurture the love of reading in our pupils. We provide pupils the exposure to a wide variety of genres and teach them skills to become avid and proficient readers.
1a. Reading Prog:
- To expose pupils to different genres
- To ensure comprehension of text read through follow up activities
Reading of a Fractured Fairy Tale in class
Towards Independent reading!
- Step into Reading (P1&2)
- Story Time (P3)
- I magazine (P4)
- ACE magazine (P5&6)
1b. Extensive reading prog:
- To nurture a habit of reading in the pupils
- To expose pupils to a variety of genres
- Leisure Reading booklet (P1) – collection of short stories, riddles, poems and jokes
- NLB’s Reading Journal (P1 to 6) – a list of suggested reads by NLB which are tagged to the themes of STELLAR readers
- Suggested list of books by genres (P5&6) – a list of suggested books categorised by genres
- Drop Everything And Read aka DEAR Week where activities related to reading such as Readers’ Theatre and Book Characters Parade are conducted to encourage pupils to read widely
Dr Seuss comes alive during DEAR week!
Pupils dressed up as various book characters
Even teachers dress up as book characters during DEAR Week!
1c. Critical Reading Prog: Literature prog
- To allow pupils to engage with a longer text
- Expose pupils to good literary texts
- Learn story telling techniques used by writers
- Develop language skills through drama activities
Resources & Focus Areas:
||AREA OF FOCUS
||James and the Giant Peach
||Literary technique – use of irony
2. Skills-based programmes
Throughout their six years in PHPPS, pupils are explicitly taught the 4 macro language skills. They are also given various opportunities to apply what they have learned thus making the learning process a joyful and meaningful one. Our EL skills-based programmes (eg. 5 MINDS lessons, Writing packages) focus not only on the learning of a language skill but applying it for a purpose.
- Explicitly teach sentence structures
- Build sentences from word to sentence
- Expand a topic sentence to a paragraph
- Narrative structure – introduction, body and conclusion
- Reinforce the narrative structure – introduction, body and conclusion
- Build content (ideas) and vocabulary using Show not Tell and Topic Blast strategies
- Deepen understanding of the narrative structure – 5 Elements of a narrative
- Teach strategies to hook a reader eg Story starters
- Teach strategies to enhance characterisation eg TALES strategy
- Teach strategies to expand the plot eg 3Cs & 3Ss strategies
Let’s write our pair story together!
2b. Howard Gardner’s 5 MINDS for the Future lessons
Howard Gardner’s 5 MINDS for the Future is adopted by PHPPS to better prepare our pupils for the volatile, uncertain, changing & ambiguous (VUCA) world. We use the 5 MINDS for the Future as a guiding principle when we craft our lessons. Through these carefully crafted 5 MINDS lessons, we aim to equip pupils with the mind-set to be flexible in their thinking and to employ all tools and skill sets at their disposal. The 5 MINDS lessons are carried out in the Writing and Literature modules of the EL curriculum.
3. Harnessing ICT in EL learning
Learning is fun and engaging with the help of technology. At PHPPS, teachers harness ICT to facilitate learning and make English language learning an engaging experience.
In the recent SLS Design Challenge organized by MOE, PHPPS was awarded “Quality Lesson Design” Award.
Having fun learning with ICT tools!